On View Seamans Gallery, level 2
- Hannah Crowninshield (American, 1789-1834)
- Work box, about 1815
- Mahogany, maple, pine, watercolor
- Salem, Massachusetts, United States
- H: 4 in, W: 12 in, D: 8 3/4 in (H: 10.2 cm, W: 30.5 cm, D: 22.2 cm)
- Gift of the Misses Elizabeth L. Clark and Katherine F. Clark, 1993
The initials "MLC" are painted around the keyhole.
This is a birdseye maple sewing box with a pine bottom and mahogany fluted columns at the corners, above small ball feet. There are three large and seven small compartments inside the box. On the top there are green and brown painted decorations of two swans swimming in a pond under an overhanging tree. The box also has musical trophy decoration on three sides and the front.
- American Decorative Arts exhibition, Peabody Essex Museum; June 03, 2003 through Present