On View Barbara Weld Putnam Gallery.GALF.WALL
- Gilbert Stuart (American, 1755-1828)
- Portrait of Mrs. Elizabeth Chipman Gray, about 1800
- Oil on canvas
- Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- H: 41 in, W: 35 in
- Museum purchase with partial funds donated in honor of Roland Gray, Jr., 2010
Plaque on back reads, "Elizabeth Chipman Gray/ Wife of/ William Gray/ Born 1756 Died 1823."
This is a portrait of Elizabeth Gray sitting in a 3/4 pose (visible from her waist up) with her hands folded in her lap. She wears a white dress with a 2 - layered collar and a veil over her brown hair. There is a red curtain in the background. Further Remarks: Upon Mrs. Gray's husband's death in 1825, the portrait was bequeathed to her son, John Chipman Gray (1793-1881), of Boston Massachusetts and Inherited by his nephew, John Chipman Gray (1839-1915) of Boston in 1881. It was bequeathed to his widow in 1915. The portrait is in it's original frame, made by John Doggett (1780-1857), of Roxbury, Massachusetts.
- Upcoming Exhibition, Peabody Essex Museum; 2015 through Present
- American Decorative Arts exhibition, Peabody Essex Museum; June 03, 2003 through Present
- Order and Elegance: Masterpieces of Federal Furniture from Coastal Massachusetts, Peabody Essex Museum; January 04, 1997 through January 11, 1999
- Loan Collection of Portraits of Women, Copley Hall; March 11, 1895 through March 31, 1895