On View Barbara Weld Putnam Gallery.GALB.PED
- Hiram Powers (American, 1805-1873)
- Martha Endicott Peabody, 1844
- Rome, Italy
- overall H: 71 in, W: 16 in, D: 16 in (overall H: 180.3 cm, W: 40.6 cm, D: 40.6 cm)
- Gift of Mrs. John Lawrence, 1993
This is a bust of Mrs. Richard Denison Rogers (Martha Endicott Peabody) (1826-1866). She is portrayed as the goddess Proserpine, shown emerging from a basket of acanthus leaves (an emblem of immortality), clad in the loose drapery of the ancient Romans. The bust sits on a pedestal in the form of a half Doric column.
- American Decorative Arts exhibition, Peabody Essex Museum; June 03, 2003 through Present