On View Barbara Weld Putnam Gallery, level 1
- Josiah Wedgwood & Sons, Manufacturer (English, active years about 1759-1989); John Mortlock, retailer (English); John Mortlock, Retailer (English)
- Thomas Carlyle pitcher, 1881
- Glazed earthenware, ceramic
- Etruria, Staffordshire, England
- H: 7 3/4 in, W: 6 3/4 in (H: 19.7 cm, W: 17.1 cm)
- Gift of Reverend George Gardner Monks, Dr. John Peabody Monks, and Mrs. Constantin A. (Olga Monks) Pertzoff, 1993
Inscription around top: "Thomas Carlyle/ Born at Ecelefechan 1793 / Died at Chelsea 1881"
This is a transfer-printed pitcher featuring a portrait of Thomas Carlyle on one side and a portion of his poem "Past and Present" on the reverse. The handle and spout are of a maroon ground with decoration. Other decorative features include floral borders.
- American Decorative Arts exhibition, Peabody Essex Museum; June 03, 2003 through Present