On View Seamans Gallery, level 2
- Patek, Philippe & Co. (Swiss, 1851)
- Watch, 1888
- Gold, pearl, enamel, ruby
- Geneva, Switzerland
- D: 3/4 in, dia.: 1 1/4 in (D: 1.9 cm, dia.: 3.2 cm)
- Gift of Julia C. Tobey and Philip H. Tobey in memory of their grandmother, Julia C. Houser, and their mother, Martha Houser Tobey McCrea, 1996
Marked on face: "Patek, Philippe & Co. Geneva", Marked on pin: "14", Marked on slides (?): "14K", Engraved inside watch case: No. 76013 // Made for // Julia M. Crouse // By PATEK, PHILIPPE & CO. // GENEVA // Sept. 10th 1888.
This is a lady's watch set. It includes a watch pin, chain, and the watch's original box. The case of the watch is ornamented with red enamel in a honeycomb pattern with tiny red and gold flowers. A ring of pearls is set around the edge of the watch. The face of the watch is white enamel with the hours marked in blue Roman numerals. The winding ring is set with seed pearls. The watch pin is in the shape of a fleur de Lis and set with pearls and 3 rubies. The pin has a hanging loop, hook, and hinged pin at the back. The watch chain is a black silk ribbon with a gold clasp and swivel hook. Along the ribbon there are five buckle-shaped slides set with seed pearls. The box's cover is inlaid with ivory. In the High Victorian style.
- American Decorative Arts exhibition, Peabody Essex Museum; June 03, 2003 through Present
- New and Noteworthy, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.; March 09, 2001 through May 20, 2001
- Tales from the Vault: A-Z, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.; March 12, 1998 through August 18, 1998