On View East India Marine Hall, level 2
- Michele Felice Corne (Italian and American, 1752-1845)
- Captain James Cook, 1803
- Oil on canvas
- Salem, Massachusetts, United States
- H: 27 3/4 in, W: 20 in (H: 70.5 cm, W: 50.8 cm)
- Gift of Thomas W. Ward, 1907
Signed lower left corner of painting, "M. Corne pinxit" and signed in lower right corner of painting is "Salem-1803". Written on the back of canvas is, "Captain James Cook, E.R.S./ born Nov 3. 1728. Died Feb 14. 1772."
East India Marine Society Collection
This is a portrait of Captain James Cook (1738 - 1779). He sits in a 3/4 pose, visible from the waist up. Captain Cook wears a uniform navy blue jacket with anchor designs on the brass buttons, a white vest and blouse.
- Michele Felice Corne: Versatile Neapolitan Painter, Peabody Museum of Salem, Salem, MA.; June 01, 1972 through August 30, 1972
- East India Marine Hall, Peabody Essex Museum; November 15, 2013 through Present