On View Charles Goddard Weld Hall, level 2
- Japanese artist
- Onna norimono (noblewoman's palanquin), 19th century
- Wood, lacquer, gilt brass, textile
- Donor unknown, date unknown
This is a noblewoman's palanquin. The black-lacquered exterior displays gold crests amid scrolling plants, while the interior features brightly colored chrysanthemum, pine, and plum paintings. The palanquin was carried by human bearers at each end.
- Japan Day by Day: An Exhibition in Honor of Edward Sylvester Morse, Peabody Museum of Salem; November 23, 1977 through April 15, 1978
- Japanese Art Gallery, Peabody Essex Museum; January 06, 2003 through Present