- Louis Le Breton (French, 1818-1886)
- L'Astrolabe and La Zelee in the Torres Strait, 1843, 1843
- Oil on canvas
- Paris, France
- H: 49 in, W: 80 1/2 in, D: 4 in (H: 124.5 cm, W: 204.5 cm, D: 10.2 cm)
- Museum Purchase with funds from the Fellows and Friends Fund, 1961
signed lower right corner "Louis Le Breton"
This oil on canvas painting portrays two French, L'ASTROLABE and LA ZELEE, stranded in Le Detroit de Torres in May-June of 1840. The ships were on the Dumont d'Urville Expedition to the Southern Hemisphere to explore Pacific and Antarctic waters. Breton was the official expedition artist of the Dumont d'Urville Expedition. This painting was exhibited at the Paris Salon.
- Upcoming Exhibition, Peabody Essex Museum; 2015 through Present
- The Art of Maritime Encounter, Peabody Essex Museum; 2004 through 2008