- Penobscot artist
- Box, about 1880
- Birchbark, spruce root, cotton
- Maine, Northeastern United States, North America
- H: 10 in, dia.: 11 3/4 in (H: 25.4 cm, dia.: 29.8 cm)
- Gift of Miss Marian S. Devereux, 1912
This is a cylindrical birchbark container with etched designs of double curve and crosshatching motifs. The bottom is resewn with stout thread where the spruce root is lost. The top of the cover is decorated with similar design in double curve and crosshatching motifs.
- Shorelines, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.; 2001 through 2004