- Algonquin (Algonkin) artist
- Knife and sheath, before 1864
- Leather, steel, horsehair, wood
- Northeastern United States and Southeastern Canada
- L: 11 1/2 in, W: 3 1/8 in, D: 3/8 in (L: 29.2 cm, W: 7.9 cm, D: 1.0 cm)
- Gift of Mr. Frank Reed, 1894
Blade stamped "Shear Steel"
This is a knife and sheath. The knife is modern while the sheath is much older in style and physical age. The handle of the knife is wooden with a steel blade. The leather sheath is decorated on the front side with very fine porcupine quillwork. The quillwork displays an orange band wrapping around the outside with white and blue diamond patterns in between. This band surrounds a foliage-like pattern in the middle. There is a fringe of tin tassels with dyed horsehair on one end.
- Gifts of the Spirit: Works by Nineteenth-Century & Contemporary Native American Artists, Peabody Essex Museum, Salem, MA.; November 14, 1996 through May 18, 1997