- Dennis Hathale (Diné (Navajo))
- Sand Dune Monster - Night, late 20th century
- Acrylic and mixed media on linen
- New Mexico, United States
- H: 21 in, W: 26 3/4 in
- Gift of James and Margie Krebs, 2008
A figure stands in the foreground, both arms extended upwards to the left. Above the figure, a starry night sky extends the length of the horizon. Two white cross shapes hover above the arms. The figure has a sand-colored body which is outlined entirely with red. White lines are used to depict fingers. It wears a light blue, multi-strand necklace and matching long blue earrings. The figure stands in front of a white, mountainous landscape. The sky is black with small white stars throughout. The entire image is outlined in red and has a painted black border.
Peabody Essex Museum