- Rick Bartow (Mad River Band Wiyot and Yurok, birth 1946)
- Lotokwahn II (beat the drum), 2007
- Ink on paper
- Northern California, United States
- H: 15 5/8 in, W: 22 1/8 in (H: 39.7 cm, W: 56.2 cm)
- Gift of James and Margie Krebs, 2008
Verso, LR corner, in graphite 'lotokwahn II (beat the drum)'; verso, LL in graphite 'FG 1803'; LL in graphite '[artist signature] 07'
In this image, a skeleton dances next to an old, naked man against a stark, gray background. The naked man faces the viewer directly, with his right hand on his hip, and his left arm raised up towards the far corner. His left leg is lifted and bent at an angle. His face is, particularly his nose, are a light pink color. The whites of his eyes, and the blue pen lining his nipples create some of the only color in the image. To the right, the skeleton faces this man, his posture almost a mirror image. A red circle, rimmed with white, sits at the skeletons hand on hip. At the far right, a vertical black bar sits along the center edge of the page. It is mirrored on the left by a smaller red bar.
Froelick Gallery | Rick Bartow