On View East India Marine Hall, level 2
- Ostrich Egg (Struthio camelus), about 1820
- Cape of Good Hope, Africa
- H: 5 in, W: 6 1/4 in, D: 5 in (H: 12.7 cm, W: 15.9 cm, D: 12.7 cm)
- Gift of Capt. Benjamin Carpenter, before 1821
East India Marine Society Collection
This is an ostrich egg with a hole at one end. Further remarks: Eggs of a variety of birds, including the ostrich, were brought back to the New World by East India Marine Society members.
- East India Marine Hall, Peabody Essex Museum; November 15, 2013 through Present